Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another Cubs Blog?

Just when you thought the internet couldn’t pump out any more Cubs blogs, another one has come along to satisfy the needs of the dedicated legions of Chicago Cubs fans. Frankly, this blog will be nowhere near the quality of other Cubs blogs like Hire Jim Essian or Desipio, but hopefully it will give some insight into the mind of a somewhat deranged Cubs fan and provide some humor and analysis about the Chicago Cubs franchise.

Now, on to answering the two burning questions on the minds of the dozens of people who have stumbled upon this blog. First, why am I putting up another Cubs blog? Well, because I have to if I want to graduate and earn my master’s degree. As part of my COM 660: Technology and Communication class, I am required to blog about a topic of my choice. Since my one main passion in life is following the debacle wondrously successful franchise known as the Chicago Cubs (I listen to nearly every game on MLB Radio and read up on the Chicago Tribune sports section most every day), this seemed like a natural topic to blog about.

But the second question you probably have is: why the heck is your blog named “The Legions of Les Lancaster?” There are two reasons for this random blog title. First, I have always been fascinated with the random Caucasian middle relief pitchers the Cubs have trotted out in my 20 years following the team. Bob Scanlan, Turk Wendell, Paul Assenmacher, and Shawn Boskie are some of my favorite random middle relievers, and Les Lancaster is no exception. However, the reason this blog is named after Lancaster is because he had a nice mullet that he played a vital role on the Cubs’ 1989 East Division Championship team. During the 1989 season, Lancaster appeared in 42 games (72. 7 innings pitched) and finished 4-2 with 8 saves and a team-best 1.36 ERA.

Expect about 2-3 blog posts per week about the Cubs (both past and present) and leave any feedback you have.

No comments: